Thomas A. Mickes has practiced law for more than 35 years and serves as the Firm Chairman. As one of the leading education law attorneys in the United States, he represents more than 300 school districts, private schools, colleges and universities in a variety of school-related legal matters. Tom is also lead counsel for Mickes O’Toole’s representation of a self-insured pool of 470 school districts in litigation of employment, civil rights and constitutional claims.
Tom has been recognized by attorneys of Missouri and Kansas as the best education attorney for the past five years (SuperLawyers). He has received the same recognition annually from St. Louis Magazine and Kansas City Magazine. He is also routinely recognized as one of the best education attorneys nationally. He is the only Missouri attorney so recognized. A founder of the Missouri Council of School Attorneys, Tom has served as its president for two terms.
He also served on the Board of Directors of the National Council of School Attorneys. Additionally, Tom serves as counsel to the Missouri Association of Rural Education (MARE) and Cooperating School Districts of the St. Louis area. He is a frequent speaker both nationally and in Missouri on school law and constitutional issues.
Tom has a Ph.D. in educational administration. He has been a teacher, principal, superintendent and school board member.
Tom authors school law articles for MARE and Missouri Association of School Business Officials. He has been an adjunct professor in the doctoral program at St. Louis University and currently serves in that capacity at Maryville University.
Areas of Practice:
- Education Law
- Labor and Employment Law
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Missouri Bar, 1979
- Florida Bar, 1984
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth and Eleventh Circuits
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1979
- St. Louis University, Ph.D. In Education Administration, 1983
- University of Missouri, M.E., 1971
- University of Missouri, B.A. 1968
- National School Boards Association COSA Member (Former Board Member)
- Missouri School Boards Association COSA Member
- Co-Founder and former Chairman Missouri Council of School Attorneys
- 2020 MARE/MO K-8 “Friend of Rural Education” Award Recipient
- 2019 Recipient of Missouri Lawyers Weekly “ICON Award”
- Best Lawyers in St. Louis Designation (Education Law), 2008-2021
- Super Lawyers Designation, 2006-2009, 2011-2015, 2018-2020