Sarah Rubenstein has more than 18 years of experience successfully representing clients in a wide range of civil litigation matters. A significant portion of Sarah’s practice is devoted to representing homeowners, lenders and title insurers with issues involving property title disputes and secured real estate liens, such as foreclosure complications, lien priority disputes, trespass, easements and lack of access, breach of contract, vexatious refusal/bad faith, quiet title, and reformation of deeds. Sarah also has experience representing school districts and public entities in sunshine law, tax and real estate litigation matters. In addition, Sarah has represented individuals and companies in various environmental litigation matters, such as Clean Air and Water Act citizen suits and permit proceedings, Superfund cost-recovery actions, toxic torts, and environmental property damage cases.
Sarah has experience with all phases of litigation in state and federal courts, including case strategy, discovery, taking and defending depositions, drafting and arguing motions, mediations and alternative dispute resolutions, trial preparation and trial, post-trial motions, and appeals.
Some of Sarah’s recent successes on behalf of clients include:
- Obtaining a successful ruling on a motion for summary judgment for a property management company on bona fide purchaser grounds;
- Winning a successful ruling on a motion for summary judgment on behalf of a title insurer that was sued in Kansas for breach of contract and negligent nondisclosure by an insured;
- Attaining a successful resolution of a suit against a title insurer sued in Missouri for breach of contract and vexatious refusal to pay by an insured;
- Procuring court orders releasing escrowed tax funds to impacted school districts;
- Obtaining releases of unrecorded or unreleased liens on real property on behalf of various lenders; and
- Winning order of eviction to remove holdover tenant from property owned by estate.
Sarah is a graduate, magna cum laude, of Amherst College (’92), and the University of Chicago Law School (’97), where she was a staff member for the journal, the University of Chicago Law School Roundtable.
Areas of Practice:
- Civil Litigation
- Real Estate and Title Litigation
- Public Entity Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Missouri, 1998
- Illinois, 1998
- Kansas, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1997
– Journal Staff Member: The University of Chicago Law School Roundtable
- Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts, B.A., 1992
– Magna Cum Laude
– Major in Environmental Health Science
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis