Kathryn (“Katie”) Forster has spent the majority of her career proving general advice and counsel to education and governmental entities. Katie has advised school districts, public libraries, public transit agencies, a regional park and trails district, an election authority and municipalities on issues relating to all aspects of their operations including contracts and procurement, governmental immunity, constitutional law, construction law, interstate compacts, use of public funds, employment matters and compliance with federal, state and local codes and regulations. Additionally, Katie has represented and provided advice to several other suburban and county school districts in the greater St. Louis metro area. Along with counseling public school districts for over fifteen years, Katie has also served as interim general counsel for Mercy health systems and Bi-State Metro Transit, as well as a city attorney for local municipalities.
With respect to her educational clients, Katie has provided advice and counsel on, among other things, issues such as student searches, student discipline, rights of disabled students, FERPA and the Missouri Sunshine Law. Katie has also assisted several school districts in the St. Louis area in partnering with multi-state health care providers to create some of the area’ s first School Based Health Clinics servicing students and teacher. She assisted the districts in establishing the SBHCs by drafting operating agreements and the required consent forms to comply with both HIPPA and FERPA.
Katie routinely assists her public entity clients in review and drafting of internal policies and regulations, bond issues, procurement requirements, and election law compliance. Additionally, Katie has successfully defended her clients against a variety of claims in state and federal courts as well as in administrative hearings. These cases involve race, age, and gender discrimination, and retaliation.
Areas of Practice:
- Employment Law
- Education Law
- Government and Municipal Law
- Business and Corporate Law
- Saint Louis University, B.S.
- Saint Louis University – School of Law, J.D.
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Missouri Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Eastern District of Missouri
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Star (2008 – 2017)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Award of Merit (2005 & 2009)
Professional and Charitable Affiliations:
- Member, The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL) Member
- Missouri School Boards Association COSA Member
- National School Boards Association COSA Member
- Missouri Municipal League Member